Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities (APPA) forum
APPA is a forum for privacy authorities in the Asia Pacific region. It gives privacy authorities in the region an opportunity to form partnerships, discuss best practices and to share information on emerging technology, trends and changes to privacy regulation.
PPC attended the forum as an observer in 2014 and 2015, and has become an accredited member since Jun 2016.
Attendance at Previous APPA Forums
- Commissioner Haruhi Kumazawa attended the 45th APPA Forum held in Singpore on 21-22 July, 2016.
- Commissioner Haruhi Kumazawa attended the 46th APPA Forum held in Mexico on 1 – 2 December, 2016.
- Commissioner for International Cooperation Shuhei Ohshima attended the 47th APPA Forum held in Australia on 10-11 July, 2017.
- The PPC staff attended the 48th APPA Forum held in Canada on 16-17 November, 2017.
- Commissioner for International Cooperation Shuhei Oshima attended the 49th APPA Forum held in the USA on 25 – 26 June, 2018.
- Commissioner Haruhi Kumazawa attended the 50th APPA Forum held in New Zealand on 3-4 December, 2018.
Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
The PPC has been attending meetings such as APEC Electronic Commerce Steering Group (ECSG) aiming for support of environment for promoting electronic commerce in the APEC region and discussing protection of personal information etc.
APEC Cross-Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) System
APEC Cross-Border Privacy Rules (CBPR) System is an international mechanism to certify a business operators’ compatibility with the APEC Privacy Framework. To participate in the CBPR system, an economy must first satisfy the necessary conditions. The Economy then nominates one or more Accountability Agent (AA) for APEC recognition. Once at least one AA has been recognized in relation to that Economy, organizations will be able to commence participation in the CBPR system in the Economy. Applicant organizations may only participate in the CBPR system if their policies and practices are certified by the relevant AA to be compliant with the requirements of the APEC Privacy Framework.
Japan has been recognized as a participant of the CBPR system since 2014, and JIPDEC has been recognized as an AA since Jan 2016. In addition, JIPDEC certified an organization under the CBPR system for the first time in Dec 2016.[Useful Links]
The Government of Japan Received Approval to Join the APEC Cross-Border Privacy Rules System
It Will Become Possible to Certify the Personal Information Protection in Cross-Border Transfer in the APEC Region
APEC CBPR Certification – Let’s Think About It! (Publicity Document)(PDF : 1008KB)
APEC Cross Border Privacy Enforcement Arrangement
International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners (ICDPPC)
The International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners (ICDPPC) seeks to provide leadership at international level in data protection and privacy. Japan had been an observer since 2014 and was accredited as a member in the 39th conference in Sep 2017.