What is Privacy Awareness Week?
Privacy Awareness Week (PAW),an initiative started by APPA (Asia Pacific Privacy Authorities), has been held every year to promote and raise awareness for numerous privacy issues and importance of promoting personal information.
This year, the PPC Japan, as a member of APPA, decided to set "Privacy Awareness Week" from 30th November to 6th December.
Message from the Chairperson of the PPC Japan
The members of the Asia-Pacific Privacy Authorities (APPA) sets “Privacy Awareness Week”, a week to think about how we handle personal information, each year to promote awareness of privacy issues and the importance of the protection of personal information. This year, the Personal Information Protection Commission of Japan decided to set Privacy Awareness Week from 30th November (Mon) to 6th December (Sun) and will work to raise awareness through a variety of means. I hope this week will be a good opportunity for you to deepen your understanding of privacy issues and importance of personal data protection.
The COVID-19 pandemic led to a rapid growth in the use of online learning and remote work etc. There have been cases where we handle personal information in a different environment/situation from what we have been used to, and it has become a year for us to think more about our privacy and about the protection of personal information.
Privacy Awareness Week is not only for the business operators. It is for all individuals and is a good opportunity for us all to think about how we should handle personal information of our friends, families and ourselves.Take a minute and see if you have found yourself in the situations, for example;
- Posting a photo or some materials that could reveal personal information of yourself or your friends on SNS without careful consideration
- Clicking on the URL link in the e-mail from an un-known sender
Mishandling personal information, including above mentioned cases, could get you in unnecessary trouble. I would like to draw your attention to be aware of proper handling of the personal information.
I hope this Privacy Awareness Week will afford you a chance to take a moment to think about your privacy and the importance of the personal information protection.
Chairperson of the Personal Information Protection Commission
Privacy Awareness Week in PPC Japan
Promoting Personal Data Protection
- Putting up Posters(at local government offices and the post office)
- Digital signage (at major train stations)
- Radio Commercial
- Advertisement on the newspaper
- Advertisement at Convenience Stores
The Amendment Act of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information
The Amendment Act on the Protection of Personal Information, etc., was promulgated on 12th June 2020. The Amendment Act, except for some parts, will come into force within a period not exceeding two years from the date of the promulgation.
Securing appropriate handling of personal information (Main PR activities in the Personal Information Protection Committee)
For Business Operators
- Dispatching lecturers to workshops held by business operators We dispatch lecturers to training sessions hosted by business operators to promote understanding of personal data protection system.
- Distribution of easy-to-understand brochures
- Public Notices
We update information on issues such as data security, personal data protection, social security number (“My number”), on regular basis to increase awareness.
- Case examples of “near-miss” incidents when handling personal information
We provide examples of minor incidents that could have led to data breach.
For those who create membership lists
- We distribute brochures summarizing useful tips when making a membership list.
- We distribute Handbooks and videos “Everyone’s important personal information.”
We introduce the importance of personal information based on a familiar scenario for children.
- Classes for elementary school students.
The staff members of the Secretariat of the Personal Information Protection Committee will give classes using the handbooks and videos mentioned above.